03 March 2008

Pain and Plunder


Dear Constant Reader,

I was recently asked on a local forum if I didn’t have something better to do with my life. I believe the question was in regards to this blog, although the questioner’s lack of eloquence left much up in the air. Let us assume that he was indeed wondering about the importance of my microcosmic writing here, relative to the life-sized chunks that make up… well, life. And the answer to that question is… a tricky one.

It is incredibly discouraging to see the world as we know it crashing in upon itself, with not many people around to shore it up. The foundations aren’t there – or perhaps they are, but just are not adequate to support the burgeoning mass of post-modernity that teeters like a tumor on stilts above our heads.

I believe firmly in the concepts of Liberty and Democracy, as seen through the lens of our Constitution. And I have a few things to say about these topics, in a voice gradually becoming that which it will be. I enjoy this process. It is vitally important that we encourage an active dialog about the ways we are all failing in our basic responsibilities as citizens of a great Republic. Yes, that includes me, too.

However, this has not been my only goal. I set out to create a habit in myself –the habit of writing daily. Granted, not every post involved writing. But the process was engaged every day, and it really isn’t so much about daily writing as it is a daily effort to create in general. And so, Mission Accomplished, in a factual and non-Bush sense. But in the pursuit of this goal, I have found two things happening concurrently:

1.) I have wanted to write more, and quote less. I look back on these thirty-some-odd posts and see a lot of indented blocks of things that are not my own. And this is all fine and good, because my intent was to evoke a sense of context in which these various items may not normally be rendered. But the daily posting schedule leaves a lot of what I would like to say out in the cold. Which leads me to point # 2.

2.) The universe sees fit to gift me with little dribs and drabs of time here and there… And of course, these little morsels burn away just as easily as the rest. We all have to burn our time at the altar of life – and it is one’s hope that the sacrifice is worth it. (That “the pain is worth the plunder,” as a very good band has put it.) And as a question of the time/worth ratio, I believe I can do better with this blog and my life in general by changing the schedule of posting to one of more weekly dimensions.

All right, enough already. What does this mean? Expect a few changes over the next week or two. My next post will only be a summary of the Kevlar Essentials, for anyone who is going to pick up reading this thing in the future and says, Keanu-style, “Whoa.” After that, there will be no posts for several days. But have no fear, Constant Reader, I will not be forsaking this good habit of creating daily. Posts will be fewer, but the things that make this blog unique will be more potent, more plentiful, and just more gosh darn warm and fuzzy. With the occasional pointy stick thrown in for good measure. And maybe a stone or two. And some broken glass. Ok, warm and fuzzy will probably be mutually exclusive. You might get warm, you might get fuzzy, but don’t count on both at the same time.

In any event, to answer the Inquisitor’s question from paragraph one: “Yes, I do have something better to do. Thanks for pushing me in that direction. Now bugger off. All this better stuff sure as hell isn’t going to do itself.”

As for the rest of you… I think you’re all pretty cool. And if you wanted to maybe forward a link to this blog on to all of your cool friends, I certainly wouldn’t stand in your way. There’s plenty more Ideas to come.

Yours sincerely,
ll REVO ll

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Revo---
Hmm...how did one persons comments get you to discontinue your daily dose of kevlar ideas? That is sad there will no longer be a daily read. If it is something you enjoyed...something you feel better about yourself because of...you should continue...remember the person that asked you "don't you have anything better to do?",,,was reading it, wasn't he? So the question turns back on him...doesn't he have anything better to do?

|| Revo || said...

No no no, that's not it at all! It's a question of spreading 100% of myself over seven days, or focusing 100% of myself into one great big dose of blinding genius. Or something like that. The gentleman's comments only served to solidfy my resolve.

I'm sorry you'll be missing the daily schedule. It will be worth it, though, I double-dog promise.

Unknown said...

100%....do you do anything that is not 100%? So my point is spreading your 100% out over several days compared to one? Hmm...I think you found and easy way to allow someone to bully you into shirking your daily commitment you made to yourself!