29 February 2008

Step One Redux


Interesting, the debate in which I found myself today, in light of yesterday's post. Or more specifically, in light of Item Number One in Philip Zimbardo's Seven Social Processes: "Mindlessly Taking the First Small Step".

The Pocono Record, our local Newspaper, reported today on the progress of a Pennsylvania bill that would require colleges and universities to report any incidence of underage drinking to the parents of the guilty party. My point in the debate: the State just doesn't have any business making such demands of a private institution. Not to mention it is inconsistent. What about other crimes? What about 18 to 20 year olds who don't go to college? Who's going to call their Mommy and Daddy?

It was said in the State's defence that requiring additional parental involvment wasn't the end of the world, and that 18 year olds aren't as mature as they used to be because they're insulated from the world.

So let's insulate them even more by treating them like... kids? I don't get it. And I also don't get how it is ok to allow the State to legislate in this area. As I said:

So again, we come back to the idea of deterrent. How much are we going to allow the State to take away in the name of keeping us safe? You see this blatantly inconsistent law as a good way to stop kids from drinking. It very well may be, although I do have my doubts. But what's next? Because the State really, REALLY wants to keep you safe. Safe from the risks associated with the personal responsibility of true freedom, that is.

(Is it pretentious to quote myself? Yes. Yes, it is.)

In any event, it appears to me to be another case of letting the State do what it wants because they're Just Keeping Us Safe. And that, my cherished and wonderful readers, is Taking the First Small Step. Again.

No comments: